Wednesday, December 29, 2010

How Dysfunctional Me Came 2 B!

          So, I'm making deviled eggs for the fam on X-mas eve. I boiled my eggs, let them cool and set off to peal them! Now, I know I'm not the only one who occasionally (meaning more times than not) has stubborn egg shells that won't peel off with out destroying the egg whites. I'm butchering away at my eggs getting madder by the minute when it dawned on me. My family does not care what these stupid egg whites look like any way so neither do I! I make a mean deviled egg and they are going to taste good no matter what the whites look like. Pretty does not mean tasty after all. Not to mention that the are only going to last 10 mins after I set them on the table.
          So, I sat in my kitchen and had a good chuckle over how many blogs probably exist with an entry for how to get these suckers to peel perfectly. That along with a million and one craft ideas for bored moms who have nothing better to do but freaking craft all day! Ha! I'm chuckling as I think of them now! I don't know about you, but I've always got stuff to do! I'm lucky if I can fit a craft a month in let alone one a day or even one a week.
          Don't get me wrong, I'm narcissistic enough to think people want to read what I have to say too and oh how I love a good recipe blog. My problem is the image they portray of  "look at me I'm Suzie freaking home maker, I'm so darn crafty and I do it all for my family". I say bull!! You do it so you can say "oh why thank you and why yes I made those, no it was no trouble at all just a little something i whipped, no big deal at all". I know it used to be me.
           I have learned this past year that if making those 50 adorable treats and 2 home made teachers gifts for my kids class means 5 hrs of work than No Thank You. It's 5 hrs less I'm being a mom and a wife. My kids won't remember what treat we brought when they are my age let alone next year. And trust me my mom was the queen of crafty when I was growing up and I don't remember what treats we took. So what did I gain, 30 mins of fame while I listen to people in the room say " OMG these are so cute, did you make these?" So did I do it for my kids or did I do it for me? Not this year folks, this year we brought plates and juice boxes. I saved the nifty craft for a family activity and treat! After all you need plates to have a party too and I had 5 extra hrs of stress free time with the hubby and the kiddos! Which is better than 30 mins of holiday fame in my book any day!

           So with this thought in mind and some inspiring people on Offbeat Mama, Dysfunctional Me came to be! I think it will be good for me and others will enjoy it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment